SAS Student Diversity Award
The Society for Affective Science is committed to increasing diversity and supporting trainees. This year, we are pleased to announce that we are accepting applications for a Student Diversity Award. The winner will receive complimentary registration to the 2020 Annual Conference, $100 to be used for conference expenses (transportation, lodging, food, etc.), and a guaranteed flash talk.
Applications for the award are due by Friday, November 15, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. Baker Island Time (BIT; UTC-12 — the last time zone before the deadline). Students will be notified if they have won or not via e-mail following abstract acceptance and rejection notifications in mid-January.
To be eligible, candidates must
(1) be a member of SAS at the time of application,
(2) be currently enrolled in a graduate degree program with focus on a topic related to affective science,
(3) not have previously received the award,
(4) not be a current member of the SAS Student Committee Executive Team (Chair, Vice Chair, or Secretary),
(5) identify as a member of an underrepresented group (including, but not limited to: LGBTQ+, racial/ethnic minority, first-generation student, student with a disability)
(6) attend the upcoming SAS conference and present their first-author work as a flash talk.
Requirements for the application include
(1) a current CV,
(2) a copy of the submitted abstract,
(3) a one-page letter of self-nomination that includes the student’s research interests, career goals, and how they would benefit from receiving the award.
Receipt of the Student Diversity Award is contingent upon abstract acceptance to the conference. Abstracts are evaluated by the student executive committee in a separate process that is not related to the diversity award review. Diversity award applications (including the names of the applicants) will not be shared with the conference abstract reviewers.
Please send any questions to the SAS Student Representative, Catie Brown.
Submit your application through the Google form here: https://forms.gle/kobLH9rVkbUZ613L7