The Society for Affective Science is committed to supporting trainees within our society and increasing the diversity of the field of affective science. To that end, the SAS Student Committee and SAS DEI Committee are pleased to formally announce our 2022 Trainee Diversity Awards. All graduate students and postdoctoral researchers are welcome to apply if they feel their background will add to the diversification of SAS. The winners will receive complimentary registration to the 2022 Annual Conference and a guaranteed flash talk.
Applications for the award are due by Saturday, January 15, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. Baker Island Time (BIT; UTC-12 — the last time zone before the dateline). Students will be notified if they have won or not via e-mail following abstract acceptance and rejection notifications in late January.
To be eligible, candidates must:
(1) be a member of SAS at the time of application,
(2) be currently enrolled in a graduate degree program or employed as a postdoctoral researcher with a focus on a topic related to affective science,
(3) not have previously received the award,
(4) not be a current member of the SAS Student Committee Executive Team (Chair, Vice-Chair, or Secretary),
(5) identify as a member of an underrepresented group including, but not limited to racial/ethnic minority, LGBTQ+, first-generation students, students with a disability, international students (i.e., trainees from outside the US currently at US-based institutions), and non-US-based students (e.g., trainees currently at institutions based outside the US)
(6) have submitted an abstract as the presenting author for the upcoming SAS conference, will attend and are prepared to present their work as a flash talk.
Requirements for the application include:
(1) a copy of the submitted abstract
(2) a one-page letter of self-nomination that includes the student’s research interests, how they contribute to diversity within SAS and the broader field of affective science (e.g., lived experiences), and how they would benefit from receiving the award.
Receipt of the Trainee Diversity Award is contingent upon abstract acceptance to the conference. Abstracts are evaluated in a separate process that is not related to the diversity award review. Diversity award applications (including the names of the applicants) will not be shared with the conference abstract reviewers.
To apply, please submit all materials HERE.
Please send any questions to the SAS Student Chair, Angela Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org)